Wichita Falls, Texas Attorney
Email: Contact Attorney David F. Gossom | P: 940.687.0049 | F: 940.234.0110
Solo-Practitioner at Law Offices of David F. Gossom, 4245 Kemp Blvd., Suite 408, Wichita Falls, Texas. Practice limited to oil and gas, real estate, probate and business related issues along with selected areas of education law and employment. Transactional and litigation services are provided in these areas. March 2008 to present.
General Counsel for Cantu Services, Inc., Wichita Falls, Texas (In-house)
Duties included providing day to day legal advice and document review and preparation to central office management and location project managers for various government food service contracts. Provided additional advice and documentation in connection with the corporation’s real estate holdings and other business interests. Manager and executive for various projects such as new business development and management of specific administrative activities such as insurance and information/technology related matters. November 2006 to March 2008.
Director of Legal and Policy Services for the Wichita Falls Independent School District, Wichita Falls, Texas. Duties included providing day to day legal advice to educators and administrators, advising the Board and Superintendent, handling litigation and contested matters including teacher terminations, civil rights complaints, unemployment compensation claims, special education hearings, grievance hearings and other matters. Preparation and review of School District Policies and contracts. November 1998 to August 2003.
Solo-Practitioner at Law Offices of David F. Gossom, Wichita Falls, Texas.
General practice representing business clients, handling civil litigation, oil and gas, real estate, contract and probate matters. December 1989 to November 1998 and August 2003 to November 2006.
Partner in law firm of Gossom, Cotton & Knight, 510 Southwest Building, Wichita Falls, Texas.
Founded firm with practice in most areas of law. Strong emphasis in firm was placed on representation of business clients in oil and gas, and real estate matters and related litigation. March 1984 to December 1989.
Associate attorney with law firm of Sanders, Masters, Watson & Brown, 1100 First Wichita Building, Wichita Falls, Texas. Primarily practiced oil and gas law with emphasis on title examination. Responsible for general civil litigation and probate matters. March 1982 through March 1984.
- 1982, Texas and U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- Doctor of Jurisprudence/December 1981 Texas Tech School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice/August 1979 Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls, Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- Admitted to State Bar of Texas and U. S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Director, Wild Bird Rescue, Inc.
- Director, Camp Fire Council of North Texas (presently ex-officio)
- President, Board of Advisors, Wichita County Teen Court 2003-2006
- Presenter 2004 Texas Association of School Boards/Texas Association of School Administrators
- State Conference- “In House Counsel: Pros and Cons”
- Presenter 2003 Texas Association of School Boards/Texas Association of School Administrators
- State Conference- “Taming the Records Management Beast”
- Panel Member, “Race as a Factor in Student Assignment,” NSBA School Advocacy Seminar, October 2000 Director, Backdoor Theatre, 1995 through 1997
- Member Steering Committee North Texas Senior Games
- Wichita County Election Judge, 1988 through 1992
- Vice-Chairman, Zoning Board of Adjustments, Wichita Falls, Texas (1985 through 1988)
- Director, Wichita County Bar Association 1984 through 1986
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Wichita County Bar Association (Member, Sections on: School Law, 1999
- Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law, 2004
- Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law, 2004, Business Law, 2004
- Government Lawyers, 2004)
- State Bar of Texas.
Kristi W. v. Graham 1SD, 663 F.Supp. 86, Shamburger v. Conoco, Inc. 999 SW. 2d 462 (Civ. App. Amarillo, 1999); Carroll v. Wichita Falls 1SD, Docket No. 196 – RIO – 899 (Texas Commn’r of Education, 2000); Taylor v. Wichita Falls 1SD, Docket No. 069 – RIO – 601 (Texas Commn’r of Education, 2002); Wichita Falls 1SD v. Rafter, Docket No. 034 – LH – 1299 (Texas Commn’r of Education, 2000).
Hobbies and Interests
- Dog Training
- Community Theater
- Scuba Diving
Born in Wichita Falls, Texas